“DELIVERING PHYSICAL AND MENTAL WELLNESS IN JUST 3 MINUTES”
That’s what my first London Cryo experience was like.
Met by the wonderful Maria, she was great at putting any concerns or anxieties to rest as standing in something so much cooler than a giant freezer that gets down to -144°C is not something you do every day.
Outside of the UK, more and more people are turning to cryotherapy to help their bodies recover more quickly, reduce inflammation and enjoy better overall health. It is something that is becoming part of people’s fitness regimes outside of the UK, however when Maria wanted to experience it, there wasn’t anything so she decided to create London Cryo.
In a nutshell, cryotherapy exposes your body to subzero temperatures (-144°C) using nitrogen gas. By getting that cold, your body is thrown into survival mode, which means all your blood rushes from your extremities to protect your vital organs (it’s a weird sensation as your torso feels like a centre of heat) creating extra oxygenated blood.
After 2-3 minutes, depending how long you can bear (although trust me, staying in is well worth it!), your session is over. And as you step out, be prepared for a tingly feeling as your blood redistributes across the body, leaving you feeling strangely light and euphoric as it energises you.
So why should you bother?
- Energy booster – the extremely low temperatures make the nervous system go through vasoconstriction to keep the body at an average temperature. This constricts the arteries and blood vessels, cutting down inflammation with more blood staying in the core of the body. This extra-oxygenated blood is then sent around the body increasing energy.
- DOMs be gone – continuing on from above, it reduces muscle inflammation so any muscle soreness from those squats you’re still feeling from Tuesday will feel a little more distant.
- It’s a great mental refresher – the rush of endorphins leaves you calm + energised. It even decreases cortisol – perfect way to decompress on a lunch break after a hectic morning at work.
- Sleep like a baby – by acting on the autonomic nervous system and rebalancing the body, whole body cryotherapy works to counteract pressures of daily life, easing insomnia and headaches, as well as stress.
- Freezer burn – yep, getting that cold burns calories as it provides a boost to your metabolism – although the more sedentary you are, the more you’ll burn (although that’s no excuse!)
- Boost circulation which helps firm and tone skin, and apparently lessens the appearance of cellulite
There are plenty more reasons to add to that but I suggest you check it out!
Also, if you’ve read this far, I might as well let you in on a secret…
Being part of Elevate Ldn, we have a discount code for 30% off London Cryo treatments – “elevate30″